Re: VTR Nationals

To: dculligan@vnet.ibm.com, owner-triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: VTR Nationals
From: JLZ69TR6@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 18:08:21 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 7/22/97 2:48:29 PM, dculligan@VNET.IBM.COM (Dennis
Culligan) wrote:
List -
  <<Some ramblings on the VTR Nationals (Background - I attended in '94 &
'95,
and, as a member of the ATA, did LOTS of work on and attended the '96
National)
The problem seems to be that while many (MOST?) of us want to both DRIVE and
SHOW our cars (right, Jim Holewka?), there are others who have NO INTEREST in
one or the other.  There must be some middle ground.
                                                                Dennis>>

Hey Dennis, thank you. You are 100% right!  And I can be silent no further!
(Background, attended VTR 89,94,95,96,97, PA Regional 97 On committees for
NJTA Regionals in 90,95)
 My goal was to simply prove that my Triumph could be driven (2,200 miles),
race the autocross and place, and still be able to compete with the
museum-piece trailer queens!

I mean the history of our cars is that they were built to fun and to be
driven.  My goal would have been accomplished, if it were not for a dishonest
car builder submarining the early TR6 division with his malice's judging.
 (Don't believe it, if you got the time I give you the details.)  All to
insure his creation would win Best of Show!  Is this what this organization
has come to?  To even allow this person to judge still blows my mind.  That
car was built for the love of money, and my car was built for the love of the
car, bottom line!

As for the a special class for trailered cars, Yes there should be.  One
class, no divisions.

Best of Show should mean:
                                         DRIVEN
                                         COMPETION
                                         and CONCOURSE!
These are truly the BEST CARS IN THE SHOW!  Cars that can do it all.  You
know who you are and my hats off to all of us!

 Most trailered cars are not even road tested!  They are built, and then
driven onto their final resting place, THE TRAILER.  When a car is restored
it MUST be road tested to find any bugs or problems. Most of these trailer
cars would most certainly experience difficulties if they were driven.  So
are they really the BEST?

Jim Holewka
1969 TR6
1972 TR6