Re: RE-TORQUING HEAD

To: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Subject: Re: RE-TORQUING HEAD
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 16:55:25 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Tom Tweed wrote:

> Hello Romano and list,  wrt
>
>  >.. is it possible that different gaskets require different re-torquing
>  >  methods? If the instructions attached to a gasket state that one
>  >  should literally re-torque immediately, maybe this gasket is of a
>  >  different type than those which want to be re-torqued after 500 miles.
>  >  (after-market products such as head gaskets might be produced to
>  >    different standards/procedures)
>  >
>  >.. in addition, different cars (head/block combinations) might require
>  >    different methods
>
> Yes, some very different !  for instance, the Renault 1700cc  OHC
> with aluminum head; Two-step torque up, then back off completely,
> then three-step torque up, all with bolts OILED.
>
>  >
>  >.. the Haynes Spitfire manual says:
>  >
>  >  - after replacement torque to the specified setting
>  >  - after 500 miles re-torque
>  >  - when you re-torque loosen each nut a little (a quarter of a turn),
>  >       before re-torquing
>  >
>  >Romano
>  >'77 Spit
>  >Oxford
>  >U.K.
>  >

> I'd have to say that the short answer must be, Do what the manual says.
> There are enough different possible engine designs, what with aluminum
> heads, wet-liner sleeves, OHC, dry torque specs, oiled torque specs,
> `stretch' (one-time-only use) head bolts, etc, etc, that even with a
> pushrod, all-iron engine, the engineers probably had one Best Way to
> get it to seal up after assembly.
>
> JMHO, of course, but what's that old saying?
> When all else fails, Read the Directions...8-)
> Tom Tweed
> SW Ohio

Hi Tom...

Yes, I've been reading the "directions" for 30 years... but I don't
recall any of my manuals saying much more than "re-torque following the
proper order"  (not a real quote)     ...but it would seem to me... that
backing off, then torquing, following the proper order, would be the way
to go...

Since the directions do seem to be SLIM in this area... it would seem
that listing to all with opinions... based on as many years of Triumphs
as myself... and MORE...  that we might be able to come to a consensus
on what might be the best method... REGARDLESS of "the directions".
Know what I mean?

Justin