Re: RE-TORQUING HEAD

To: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Subject: Re: RE-TORQUING HEAD
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 18:45:15 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Egil Kvaleberg wrote:

> On 8 Sep 1997, Tom Tweed wrote:
>
> > I'd have to say that the short answer must be, Do what the manual says.
>
> The manual says re-torque after 1000 km (or something thereabout). A
> mechanically knowledgable friend says that the re-torque really should
> occur after the engine has been properly hot - once is enough for things
> to settle.
>
> This does seem to make some sort of sense to me - it is reasonable to
> assume that the 1000 km thing was to make customer relations easier (and
> also nicely coinciding with various other service and control tasks due
> at that time for a new car).
>
> Other views?
>
> Egil
> --
> Email: egil@kvaleberg.no Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
> Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway

Let's keep in mind that I started this portion of the thread on the
question of HOW to re-torque.... not WHEN....   as all the old manuals
are pretty clear about WHEN... but they're not clear on HOW... other
than to follow the proper sequence...

to loosen or not to loosen... how much to loosen... how little... etc.
etc.  JUST curious to hear people's opinions... I have not had any blown
head gaskets nor damaged heads... but this does not mean my methods are
the best...

Justin