Re: RE-TORQUING HEAD

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: RE-TORQUING HEAD
From: schuyler grace <schuyler@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 23:16:48 -0700
James H. Davis, Jr. wrote:

> Deano,
> I'd be careful here. I don't believe 10 thou. cold is the same as 10
> thou. hot. Someone who has genuine knowledge here, please help me out.
>
> Jim Davis
> Fortson, GA
> '75 TR6  CF38690UO
> '75 TR6  CF37325U
> >5. I will also follow the lead of our racing friend and adjust valves
>
> >when hot the next time I check. It will be interesting to see if this
>
> >quiets tappet noise appreciably.

 Yes, please expound upon the "hot" adjustment technique!  Twenty years
ago, I remember adjusting the valves on a solid lifter Dodge straight
six.  I just gradually tightened the rockers down, while the engine was
running, until the "ticking" subsided almost completely.  That engine
ran well for another 100,000 miles +.  As much as some listers worry
about the lack of oil supply to the top of the engine, the process in
Malibu Barbie's Dream Car shouldn't be as messy as the Dodge was,  but I
think I'd rather be a little more precise with my Spit.  Perhaps, Tom
could spare a toenail for me to use as a feeler gauge.  :-)

-schuyler

--
Schuyler E. Grace
'73 Spitfire 1500 - FM1183U