RE: Windows and crank pins

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Windows and crank pins
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 09:16:13 -0600
Here is how I do it:

1. Get a nail whose diameter is the same as the pin. The nail must be
long enough to remain flush in the hole at one end and stick out the
other side of the door/window handle escutcheon on the other side.

2. Saw the head of the nail off so you have something which can pass
right through the hole.

3. Get a slim flat point punch (I doubt this is the correct term for
this type of punch but it's the kind which doesn not have a pointy end
but a flat one) whose end diameter is about the same as the pin.

4. Using electrical tape, tape the pin to the end of the punch. Do not
cover the entire pin, only as much of its lenghth as is neede to have it
stay attached to the punch.

5. Using a screwdriver (or whatever) pry the handle and escutcheon so
that you can get the nail through the hole. Once engaged in the hole
pass it through so it is flush with the hole in the handle at one end
and sticking out the edge of the escuthcheon at the other (it is
important that it sticks out cause that's how you keep it from getting
stuck in there when the real pin gets seated).

6. Now you may need to pry the escutcheon back with a couple of
screwdrivers inserted parallel to the pin's direction and have someone
press the door panel back. Insert the punch with pin on the end and line
it up with the flush end of the nail.

7. Using a suitable tool (hammer worked for me) punch the pin into
position. The nail should pop out the other end and the panel and
escutcheon snap into place and voila!

This has worked for me but I had my dad to help me (actually he came up
with most of the technique!). Since I had the door panels off recently I
had a lot of practice in refining this method. By the time I got to the
fourth handle, it only took about 5 minutes.

Good luck!

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada