Re: Honesty

To: jthaider@micron.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Honesty
From: EPaul21988 <EPaul21988@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 09:40:22 EST
In a message dated 98-01-07 08:17:52 EST, jthaider@micron.net writes:

<< After receiving the part, this person said he sent the check.  Yeah,
 right!  It's been almost a month and 1/2 now and no $$.  Calls and email
 go unanswered.  This person supposedly has a business in NM.  >>

Trish;
I recently had a similar experience.  Eventually the purchaser did come
through with the check ( thanks if you're still on the list). Occasionally I
have excess parts I want to sell and I used to be willing to sent out parts
with 50% up front, but I don't think I'd do that any more either.  I've also
had people want me to send a part free, just because they are on the list!
It's not just the list people either.  I had a local Triumph guy come by and
ask to buy some parts I had, a 12 to 1 head, exhaust header and a used diff.
He said he wouldn't have the money till after Christmas and would I keep the
parts for him till then.  Called back a week after  the holidays and
complained that he had found the header new on sale and would rather have that
one, etc. etc. etc.  I told him to stuff it, I felt I did him a favor waiting
for the money.  He felt it was an opportunity to take advantage.  Oh well.

I do believe that the impersonal nature of the list creates certain temptation
and opportunities for people to act in a manner not typical of them and for
the possibility of lots of misunderstandings.  You just have to assume that
the list is just like your community.  There are some real nice people, some
nice people, some OK people, and some jerks. It's just more difficult to tell
who is who on the list as compared to face-to-face interactions.

If the guy is close to me I'll offer to try to mediate the problem for you if
you want.
Let's assume the check is lost in the mail, or that the recent untypical large
snowfall here in NM has caused a communication problem of some sort.  Most of
the mail  is moved via Mule train until it reaches the state line here you
know.
Bob Paul
Corrales NM