Re: Honesty

To: Joe and Trish <jthaider@micron.net>
Subject: Re: Honesty
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 10:14:41 +0500 (EST)
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Joe and Trish wrote:

> ...A person on this list asked for a GT6 axle... my husband...
> intelligent guy)sent the part off by UPS, paying for the shipment up
> front.
>
> After receiving the part, this person said he sent the check.  Yeah,
> right!  It's been almost a month and 1/2 now and no $$.  Calls and email
> go unanswered.  This person supposedly has a business in NM. Has anyone
> else had this experience and what would you recommend we do?

Sadly, it sounds as if you've done about all you can. I'm not sure what,
if any, legal action might be available (or worth your time to pursue),
but if nothing happens soon, I concur with the suggestion that you at
least threaten to expose the person's name. If that doesn't help, by all
means DO expose the person's name.

> ...I got the idea that most of the people on the list
> were honest and interested in restoring and promoting the lbc's.

I'd like to think that the percentage of "good" folks on this list is
about the proverbial 99 and 44/100ths percent pure [tm]. And my
experiences with any number of people through this and other lists have
been overwhelmingly positive. I've bought, sold and traded a fair amount
of Triumph stuff over the last several years with no problems whatsoever.
I usually wait for payment before sending stuff, but not always. And I've
had folks who would put something in the mail or on a UPS truck even as
I'm still sending a preliminary "thank you" message.

For me, this list (along with the other team.net lists) has always felt
very much like any other good car club, with most everyone willing to drop
whatever they're doing to help out someone in need. There is a very high
tolerance level amongst this group; most of us are willing to put up with
just about anything except dishonesty, stupidity and "attitude".

As Nick says: "No such thing as a dumb question...but answers...that's a
whole 'nother ball game." :-) I have asked a few of those questions
myself, and I have learned an amazing amount of stuff from these lists
over the last several years. I also have tried to help and encourage a lot
of folks, and I have made friends of hundreds of people whom I might never
have "met" otherwise. And it's been fun when I've had the chance to
connect faces to e-mail addresses -- I feel as if I already know these
folks (which I do).

In getting down from the old soapbox, I'll just say I hope this person
does come through and soon. If not, that is certainly not the kind of
businessperson most of us would deal with, and word of that can get around
pretty quickly via the Net, if you get my meaning, if you catch my
drift.... :-)

--Andy