Re: removing the motor head

To: rick <rbacon@netcom.ca>
Subject: Re: removing the motor head
From: Turner & Turner <turner@turner.se>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 09:02:11 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Total empathy. I have been precisely where you are.

First, put the hammer down. Parts of the head can actually be quite
delicate and it's crucial that the surface where the gasket lies doesn't
get damaged in anyway.

Second, the head will come off, with a combination of persistence and
guile.

Make sure you've got all the studs out, using the appropriate tool or
double nuts.

Then liberally apply rust penetrating oil to anywhere you suspect might
be a "sticking point". Repeat this daily for a week, if necessary.

Also TAP around the head with a rubber mallet

And finally, the rope trick, learned (by me at least) from this list.
Remove plugs. Get piston No.1 to BDC. Feed in one end of some 0.5" nylon
rope into the bore and stuff in as much as you can. Repeat the process
with the other end of the rope and No. 4 cylinder. Then, with a large
spanner, turn the pulley and, after a few grunts, off she will pop.

Adam Turner,

'74 TR6