RE: removing the motor head

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, rbacon@netcom.ca
Subject: RE: removing the motor head
From: Adrio Taucer <adrio@capitalnet.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 09:31:30 -0500
Rick,

I just went through the same exercise on my TR3.  The bigest lesson for
me was that persistance and patience are THE key.  After lots of help
from the list I managed to get head off.  I did not want to try the rope
trick for fear of disturbing the wet liners (and the figure 8 seal).  So
the way I did it was:  After removing all the nuts (the studs stayed in
the block), I soaked the studs in liquid wrench once a day; after about
a week I was able to lft the front of the head about 2 mm (I did this
with a wooden wedge between the water pump and the part of the head that
sticks out the front to attach the thermostate housing, this way I did
not touch the mating surfaces of the head/block); with the head up like
this I used folded paper as a spacer and inserted then between the block
and head as far back as I could; with the wooden wedge removed and using
VERY little torque I put the nuts back on the front studs and lower the
head rocking on the folded paper; more folded paper at the back now;
remove the nuts from the studs; wooden wedge again; more folded paper in
the middle;  and repeat for 3-4 hours gaining .5 to 1 mm at a time.  It
is long tedious work but the head does come off.

Thanks to the list I kept my patience and never did something I would
regret later.

Keep trying and it will come off.

Adrio