Re: removing the motor head

To: rick <rbacon@netcom.ca>
Subject: Re: removing the motor head
From: Andy <adixon@loudoun.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 11:16:48 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Date-warning: Date header was inserted by mail.cninc.com
On 01/18/98 08:27 PM rick said...
>Huh... Any tips on removing the head from the TR6's motor?
>Would a sharp blow from a 20 pound hammer help the %&#! thing???
>
>rick

Rick,
Well the rope worked.  Take a long length, at least 10 ft, of 3/8 nylon rope,
fold it in half and mark the center. Take out all the spark plugs, use a
breaker bar and socket on the large bolt that holds the fan extension (and
everything else) on the crank, and bring #1 to BDC. Feed equal amounts of
rope (that's why we marked the center) into #1 and #6 cylinders. If you don't
use equal lengths the head cants and jams. Then torque like crazy on the
breaker bar. If necessary while there is some pressure on the head you can
use a block of wood and a large hammer to hit the sides of the head to help
break the seal (obviously you don't have 3 hands so you might need help).
I've been messing with mine halfheartedly for abou 2 weeks now but it
popped off quite nicely today. I did lift the head once then knocked it down
again then lift it again (had to feed the rope in twice) because one of the
studs was hanging on tight.
Good luck

Andy
'74 TR6 -- currently small pieces of metal held together with rust.