Re: Engine conversions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Engine conversions
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 09:28:20 -0700
You will probably get a lot of discussion on this one :-)!

If they had built a Spitfire with a V6 I'd have bought one.  A Mustang II
is not the same car (same engine).  I wanted a Spitfire with a lot more
power, one that could be as fast as it looked.  I wasn't looking for top
end speed, just more grunt off the line.  I always loved the body style of
the Spitfire, but was less than happy with stock Datsun (pre Nissan) 1200
pickups passing me on hills.  Hopping up the stock 1300 was not as reliable
(been there, done that) So the only avenue was cubic inches.  I didn't want
to alter the frame or body structure (and as it turned out for the most
part, didn't really have to)  There's nothing inherently wrong with
*improving* the vehicle, IF DONE CORRECTLY, and the Factory usually didn't
because of cost (probably the main factor) or limited market.  It wasn't
because they didn't want to, as witnessed by the different engines they
stuffed into the Spitfiires as prototypes and other cars.  The show circuit
as one example and the Cobra was basically an AC with a 289 Ford stuffed
into it.  But there's nothing to prevent one from using the *upgraded*
parts in your own vehicle.  I used the GT6 brakes, uprights and rear
suspension pieces in my own project.  If Triumph had made a small, commonly
available V6 I would have used that.  Ford engines were popular swaps, even
for the factories (tiger, TVR, in fact the 2.8 used was a Ford so I guess I
sorta kept it in the family).  I too believe in restoring vehicles and my
own GT6 is a stock example.  I'll tell you though, if I had to sell
everything but one vehicle, you can guess which one I'll keep!!
It's more the fun factor, and I suppose until you've driven one done
CORRECTLY you can't appreciate what a rush it is.
It's sorta like why do people build custom houses, or modify the one they
have, why do people paint, draw, write, compose.  It's just something in
the blood I guess.  Being a creative person myself, and a mechanical
engineer (22 years now) I didn't have any problem with what I was doing.
After all, people just like me were designing TR's (and other vehicles)
back then.  I just didn't work for the right company :-)

2 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (someday soon back on the road)