Re: Engine conversions

To: "Eric A. Yates" <eyates@earth.nwu.edu>
Subject: Re: Engine conversions
From: "M. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 23:28:30 -0400
Cc: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Eric A. Yates wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have a question about engine conversions: why do people do it? I am
> curious as to why folks make changes to something as fundamental to a car's
> character as its engine.
> Well, Eric has asked the Question O' the Day, so I'll chime in here too.

People who tune a Spitfire to the max are to be duly praised.  Yes,  a
1500 can squeal tires in a shift change -- seen and heard it myself, or
I wouldn't have believed it.  But there is a clear ceiling for the car,
even though it costs a lot to reach it.

There are at least two great things about a Spitfire, i.e., its looks
and the way you can throw it around corners.  I'd still have mine,
except I get a fairly big kick out of low end grunt; that's why I bought
a TR6. However, my favorite car to drive still is ... my GT6.
And it'd be my second favorite if the top went down on a nice day.

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6