Re: Engine conversions

To: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>, "Eric A. Yates" <eyates@earth.nwu.edu>
Subject: Re: Engine conversions
From: Harris Goodkind <tr_250@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 19:29:41 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
As a former builder/owner of a '59 Bugeye Sprite powered by a Buick
231 V-6 I have to agree.
My current projects include a Spitfire with a VERY warmed over GT6
drivetrain and I have been toying with the idea of a small-block Chevy
Spitfire.
Have fun!!!
By the way, my TR3B is stock and staying that way.

---Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net> wrote:

> Eric A. Yates wrote:  (snip)
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I have a question about engine conversions: why do people do it? I
am
> > curious as to why folks make changes to something as fundamental
to a car's
> > character as its engine.
> >
> > Eric:
>
>  There's a hotrodder in a lot of us doing the Tim Allen "More Power"
chant!
> Once you get a taste of a quick car, the next thought is-How do  I
get this
> thing to go faster? In many cases, the answer is- There is no
substitute for
> cubic inches!!Having owned 3 Sunbeam Tigers, 2 Mustang GT's and a
'66 'Vette
> roadster, I have to agree.
> Don't get me wrong, I love my TR6, but frankly, the knock your butt
into the
> seat cushion rush that only the torque of a american V8 can supply is
> irresistible! In may cases, the V-8's weight is close or lower than
the old
> brit cast iron lumps they replace.
> (See  Dan Master's weight comparison of a small block Ford vs. the
TR6 motor)
> Next, there's the challenge of building a hybrid. C'mon, who
wouldn't love a
> stylin' brit car stuffed full of 8 happening cylinders? Carroll
Shelby did it
> with the AC Bristol and Sunbeam Tiger and he's a hero! Some other
guy puts a
> small block in a TR6 and he's a butcher? I don't get it.
> Lastly, it 's your car to do as you see fit. Ya wanna stick a JATO
rocket in
> the trunk and head out into the Nevada desert? Knock yourself out!

==
Harris Goodkind
Hanford, California
'62 TR3B  TSF363L