Re: Engine conversions

To: "Eric A. Yates" <eyates@earth.nwu.edu>
Subject: Re: Engine conversions
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 22:04:41 +0000
Cc: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

Eric A. Yates wrote:  (snip)

> Hi folks,
>
> I have a question about engine conversions: why do people do it? I am
> curious as to why folks make changes to something as fundamental to a car's
> character as its engine.
>
> Eric:

 There's a hotrodder in a lot of us doing the Tim Allen "More Power" chant!
Once you get a taste of a quick car, the next thought is-How do  I get this
thing to go faster? In many cases, the answer is- There is no substitute for
cubic inches!!Having owned 3 Sunbeam Tigers, 2 Mustang GT's and a '66 'Vette
roadster, I have to agree.
Don't get me wrong, I love my TR6, but frankly, the knock your butt into the
seat cushion rush that only the torque of a american V8 can supply is
irresistible! In may cases, the V-8's weight is close or lower than the old
brit cast iron lumps they replace.
(See  Dan Master's weight comparison of a small block Ford vs. the TR6 motor)
Next, there's the challenge of building a hybrid. C'mon, who wouldn't love a
stylin' brit car stuffed full of 8 happening cylinders? Carroll Shelby did it
with the AC Bristol and Sunbeam Tiger and he's a hero! Some other guy puts a
small block in a TR6 and he's a butcher? I don't get it.
Lastly, it 's your car to do as you see fit. Ya wanna stick a JATO rocket in
the trunk and head out into the Nevada desert? Knock yourself out!