Re: Why do you drive Classic cars

To: armstrong@btinternet.com
Subject: Re: Why do you drive Classic cars
From: vitesse@juno.com
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 07:36:59 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Irwin,

I'll give you my answers to your questions about classic cars.

As far as expense...My TRs may not be the best looking, but some run
pretty darn well, given their age and the DPO abuse.  I have spent more
on maintenance/repair in the past year on the '94 Ford my wife drives
than all of my classics combined.  I have spent less than $100 this year
on maintenance/repair on my daily driver pickup

Granted the TR7 is still going through the engine rebuild process, but
the money that I will have in it by the time I am done, will still be
below what the 'new' Ford has cost us.

My TR250 that I drive to work 2-3 times a week ( 60 mile round trip) has
only cost me tinkering time and oil.

The '73 Stag is sitting in a warehouse..the DPPO really screwed up the
conversion ( Buick V6 ) and that will take a a lot of time to
re-engineer...the good thing about that is that the '71 Stag ( '67
Corvette drivetrain ) was done right ....so I have a very good basis to
use as a template when I start the fix  the '73.

I'd like to think that I have finally learned how to avoid skinned
knuckles, and have gotten pretty close, the I figured out how to filet
the palm side of my fingers!<VBG>  This past February I was working on
the '71 Stag and lost my balance  ( HINT...not a good idea to stand on a
upside down bucket to gain a few inches in height ) as I fell backwards I
grabbed a  the inner fender and peeled skin off three fingers....in all
something like 18-19 stitches in my fingers.

The biggest reason I play with/drive them?  I enjoy them, and I couldn't
ever see the point in hitting a little ball with a stick.

Take Care

Hugh R. McAleer
Jonesboro, GA

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]