Re: Why do you drive Classic cars

To: Irwin Armstrong <armstrong@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Why do you drive Classic cars
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 07:35:30 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Irwin Armstrong wrote:

> Fellow listers
>
> I am interested in why you all drive Triumphs or other classic cars,
> given that they all break down, are draughty, cost lots of money to keep
> on the road, give an endless supply of skinned knuckles and all those
> problems to solve.
>
> Lets hear it from you all.
>
> Irwin
> N Ireland
> TR6 150 PI       1972   (A1)
> Spitfire MK3     1970   (mostly in little pieces)

Irwin, there are just so very many reasons for driving these cars, but I
will try to explain my case.

They are very inexpensive to buy in comparision to todays prices in the
market place. Where can one get a very nice, in short supply, show/driver
car for under 7500.00? Comparable new is 25,000, and up, with just a
little bit more creature comforts that are of little or no value to a
sports car to begin with (who wants or needs air in a T/R 3 or spit 1500)

They are not expensive to maintain, if you do the maintenance on a
regular basis as recommended, check under the hood on a regular basis,
change oil as recommended, and just do not abuse the car, she will last
for years, treat her bad and she bites back. One of the most expensive
cars to maintain was and still is the V/W bettle, the constant upkeep on
these is very high, and very little can be done by the average person,
not so with a LBC. Volvo was and is one of the highest upkeep cars on the
road yesterday and today. Where can I buy such a beautiful sporty and
becoming rare T/R 3 for such a modest price. Remember todays auto
manufacturers produce about 10 mil. cars a year, stand on the corner and
see yourself go but several times per hour in all the different colors
and body styles, but still a Ford. They are fun, beautiful, a peace of
mind pleasure treasure and very personel, and a whole lots less trouble
and dollars spent than a bar stool. Where can I go for a big family
reunion of people as friendly and as kind and helpfull as LBC show, some
of these friendships are very close and personel and valued over the
years. As for draughty, I also have less hair than 30 years ago, more
hanging over the belt than should be, and certainly more wrinkles, but
gee what a thrill ever time I touch the key and feel the breeze over my
head, am I having a affair, yes, but my wife loves it just as much, and
it sures adds to our happiness of always doing things together with a
great deal of pride together, yes we are a happy LBC family.