Re: Why do you drive Classic cars

To: "Irwin Armstrong" <armstrong@btinternet.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Why do you drive Classic cars
From: "David Greed" <greed@wave.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 21:35:22 +1300charset="iso-8859-1"
Irwin

You pose an interesting but easily answered question.

In this day and age, the majority of cars produced are all the same. They
only way to tell the apart (from a distance at least) is their size (big or
small) or colour - even their emblems are becoming similar...

I drive a Triumph (as you have probably guessed), my wife drives a Citroën
BX Turbo diesel. Both cars are distinctive. My two young boys will often
point out other Triumphs or Citroëns from a distance, and with pride, where
I feel sure that if I was driving a Toyota, Ford, Nissan or Mazda - it would
be regarded as just another car.

For me as well, I find many of the modern cars are just too flimsy - how do
I know? I hit a Mitsubishi (which crossed into my path) with my previous
Triumph. They could still push and steer the Triumph around, the Mitsi was
going nowhere... That was the other reason for trading in the Toyota that we
had for the Citroën.

As for reliability - no problems. Both cars are driven daily and hard. If
they were dollied around, I feel sure that they would then give trouble -
both cars were made for driving long distances and they respond accordingly.
When it does come time to work on the Triumph, I have been lucky with the
skinned knuckles etc - I suffer more injuries fixing my kids bikes!!

Sadly, I don't have problems with a draughty car - how I would love a
convertible...

Regards

David Greed
1979 2500S Man O/D