Re: TR3/4 engine swap

To: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR3/4 engine swap
From: Keith A Edwards <kedwards@norfolk.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 12:45:52 -0500
Cc: nosimport@mailbag.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
KTRIUMPH@aol.com wrote:

> Why doesn't he just swap flywheels???

I agree.

> The front engine plate is indeed different. The front engine mounts will not
> line up. Also the TR3 motor was an open breather type, suspect you will have
> to pull the freeze plug and install the breather pipe, just below the fuel
> pump. The TR3 valve cover and oil cap (open type) should be used, and the TR3
> carbs & linkage.

Be careful swapping the TR3 valve cover onto a TR4 engine.  The reason
the TR4 engine moved the oil fill pipe to the rear was to clear the
lower hood (bonnet).  Ask me how I know this?  The TR4 valve cover
before the PCV valve was added should be used.  It is the one with the
cap that breaths.  (This is assuming one wants the side downpipe.)

> Other than these it's a direct replacement. The clutch should be the same.
> Have fun!
>
> Ken Nuelle
> 58 TR3A
> 62 TR3B