Re: Offering First To The List

To: "David Moag" <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Offering First To The List
From: "Beth & Ken" <bethken@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 18:18:11 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Dave;

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I posted it on eBay and let the group
know at the same time. I value the help I've gotten from many listers, and
try to "repay" it in kind whenever I can. The difference in your argument
and mine is the money thing. No, I'm not in it for the money either, but it
is nice to recoup some of the oney I'm dumping into "Big Red". If I were to
accept your premise, I'd give my old shocks to the first lister to ask for
them (if the money truly didn't matter). Sorry, but I just don't see that. I
sold my old Appliance wheels for $202.50 on eBay, and the shocks are
currently at $42.50...more than I ever imagined I'd get for either.

Again, we share information and ideas on the group. That doesn't mean that I
need to subsidize your hobby any more than you need to subsidize mine. I've
bought parts from listers, paying what they asked, or making an offer. I
never felt that they owed me a "discount" simply because we share one
interest in life...Triumphs. I was just glad to get the parts I needed. Joe
Curry recently had a shift lever I needed. VB and Spitbits were out of
stock. Their book said $15. That's what I sent Joe. I was thrilled to have
the part, never expecting him to provide "Triumph Welfare".

In summation, I agree that it's nice (not mandatory) to offer parts to the
group, and I'll always do so. I don't agree that the offer need be exclusive
(leaving other groups out) or carry some obligatory discount. BTW, the guy
who bought my wheels is a Triumph hobbiest just like you and I. The shock
guy must be as well. Why do you deserve something they don't?

Insensitive to the group love,

ken shapiro
baltimore
1970 GT6+ KC81872L