Re: Update:California SB800 /SB1172

Subject: Re: Update:California SB800 /SB1172
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 08:26:53 -0700
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hugh :

Actually, I do drive my TR3A to work everyday (unless there is a good
reason not to, like it's currently raining or I have to pick up people
or the '3 isn't running).  Combining work with pleasure, as it were.
Since I plan to take it today, I will have driven it to work 4 out of 5
days this week.  (Had to ferry people around last night, so drove the
wife's minivan to work.  Gawd I hate driving it.)

We were discussing 'classic' insurance at the local club meeting
recently, probably half of the people in the room said their Triumph
usage did not qualify.

As I read the current revision of SB800, it would preclude even taking
the occasional weekend run with the club, since that is not "display".

So personally, I would much rather keep the current complete exemption
for 30 year old cars.  Throwing a bone to collectors who only display
their cars just doesn't help me at all.  Triumphs are made to be driven
!

BTW, I'm quite aware of the perception of all the "30 year old clunkers
running around polluting our air".  However, the facts as gathered by
California's Air Resource Board simply don't bear that out.  Their
"roadside sniffers" have shown that the major polluters are mostly under
15 years old, with a surprising number that are less than 10 years old.

If you consider the relative cost of keeping any car on the road,
compared to the value of a 30 year old car that's not being kept by an
enthusiast, it makes no sense whatsoever, especially with current gas
prices.  Even if the car was free, it costs more to drive a 1975 Chevy
than buying and driving a 1990 model ...

Can you honestly say your TR6 is "used primarily for purposes of display
at events" ?  If not, it wouldn't be protected by SB800 ... and how are
you going to prove to the DMV's satisfaction that you never drive it to
the grocery store ...

Randall