Re: Update:California SB800 /SB1172

To: "Randall Young" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Update:California SB800 /SB1172
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@telocity.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:26:37 -0700
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Randall, Terri Anne, Et Al

This has gotten way out of hand.  My purpose in my original posting was to
bring some information to the list about a couple of bills in the California
legislature that could affect us.  In that posting, I did not offer any
opinion pro or con. I gave the link to SB800 so that interested folks could
check it out.  Now we have "email wars" from TR3 owners who drive their cars
every day and are suggesting that those of us who don't, own trailer queens.

1. For the record, for those of you who drive your LBC every day - I applaud
you and I envy you.  Nuff said on that.

2.  As far as the DMV "checking up" on how you use your car, don't bet on
it.  Go to any mall in California, drive around the parking lot and count
the number of cars with expired registrations.  I'll bet you find a lot of
cars with expired tags.  If the DMV and the police won't/can't do anything
about that problem, what makes you think they will actively check on how you
are using your LBC?

3.  Randall, your statement that CARB has presented facts that "prove" that
there are not a lot of clunkers on the road does not make sense, since CARB
is one of the most ardent supporters in Sacramento for abolishing ALL
exemptions.  If they have facts to the contrary, why are they opposed?  In
written reports to the legislature, CARB has repeatedly pointed out that the
current exemption allows "clunkers" to be on the road.

4.  Personally, I also would rather leave the law as it is (pre 1974
exempted until 2003, then rolling 30 year exemption).  However, there are
powerful groups in Sacramento who would like to take our LBCs off the road
and (if they could) make ownership of them illegal.  Among these groups are
CARB, EPA, auto manufacturers, industrial polluters (they get credits for
crushing old cars), and various environmental groups.  These groups are well
organised and well funded.  They are the ones who have daily contact with
our lawmakers.  If you are opposed or supportive of ANY proposed law, your
only weapon is to GET INVOLVED.  Keep abreast of what's going on in the
capital, write your lawmakers, and offer to speak at hearings.  If we ignore
it, hope it will go away or assume that it won't get passed, then our
lawmakers will do what the special interest groups ask them to do.
Personally, I have written my representatives and asked them to vote "no"
should SB800 get out of committee and get to the floor.  However, given the
choice of partial use (SB800), versus no use (what CARB, etc wants), I'll
take partial use.  But whatever your opinion, write/email/call your reps and
tell THEM (since they are the ones who vote on proposed bills).

Enough sermonising.  If you need me I'll be in the garage working on the
car.

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA
'73 TR6