RE: 73 TR6 questions

To: "Jim Altman" <jaltman@altlaw.com>
Subject: RE: 73 TR6 questions
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 10:26:15 -0400
Cc: "'Peter Zaborski'" <peterz@merak.com>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Jim Altman"
>To make a smooth shift with an A-Type and not bounce you and/or the car a
>bit requires some finesse in the timing and the gas pedal.  It is very
>possible to make very smooth shifts, as smooth as any automatic
>transmission. My Ford Explorer's automatic is completely smooth, you don't
>know its there.

Or do what I do: push in the clutch.  Just like shifting into fifth.  ;-)

>The A-Type and the J run on about the same pressure, so I'd assume the
>ability to slam that sucker in there is about the same. Its gotta be
>possible to mis-play the shift and get about the same kick in the butt,
but
>its undoubtly possible to repeatedly hit the timing just fine and get the
>same smoothness as from a well-done manual or automatic shift.
>Operationally, flipping a switch is flipping a switch.  The A works in
>second gear, but I have never found it useful.

The main difference between the A and J types is that the A type has an
accumulator that stores a volume of fluid under pressure and when the
solenoid kicks in it dumps this pressurinzed fluid into the operating
pistons.  Just how fast the fluid makes the trip is a function of how the
solenoid is adjusted.  If the solenoid is adjusted to just barely open the
slide valve the fluid will flow slowly and the kick will be less severe
than if the slide valve is opened more (as in my TR3).

The J-type has no accumulator and the operating pistons will only operate
as fast as the pump can deliver fluid.  This eliminates the need for a
critical adjustment and gives a reasonably smooth shift although somewhat a
bit slow at times.

Which is better?  You decide.

Dave Massey
57 TR3 (A-type) (Mis-adjusted and slams hard!)
71 TR6 (J-type) (Yeah, yeah, I know.  I have a 73 frame, though)
80 TR8 (Rover 5 speed)