Re: VTR Site Restricted

To: "Blake J. Discher" <bdischer@blakedischer.com>,
Subject: Re: VTR Site Restricted
From: John & Patricia Donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 23:48:21 -0700
Blake wrote:
==>
After the Classified Advertisements pages, the Maintenance Handbook
pages are the most visited pages on the site and arguably are the most
valuable asset on the site.  The articles were written by dedicated
members who took the time to share their experience and knowledge with
fellow VTR members.
-----------

I didn't know VTR had exclusive rights to those articles, especially
since most can be found on other websites.

==>
As you know, keeping a web site up and running, especially one the size
of VTR's, with more than 450 pages, costs money and takes a great deal
of effort.
-----------

Yes, a professionally run site takes time and money. Get over it. If the
membership wants it they'll have to pay for it. See my remarks later.

==>
I felt very strongly, and urged the board to reserve some content on the
site for members only.  Many, many clubs and organizations do this, and
it makes sense.
-----------

Some clubs, but not many. The good ones that I just checked didn't.
Hmmmm, sense for whom?

==>
 There is just no reason such valuable information should be freely
available to those not willing to support VTR by signing on as a
member.  Not doing so essentially meant that non-members were getting a
free ride to information on the backs of dues paying members.  And
that's just not fair.
-----------

Again, I go back to my opening remarks ... VTR doesn't have an exclusive
on these articles and these articles ARE freely available.

==>
In order to keep the web site viable, we need to attract writers.
-----------

If I submit an article, will I get free membership?

VTR can obviously do what they want, and have. I was going to renew, but
now I'm not so sure I want to be part of a elitist group. I contribute
to Mark's cause because the list provides value. But's contributions are
voluntary, and rightly so.

IMO, I believe that the web site should be scaled back, and point to
it's affiliate organization's web sites for links, tech info,
classified, etc. In other words I think that the VTR site should be a
central point for events, newsletters, things that are at a national
level. The strength of the VTR is the sub groups that belong to it.
It's definitely not in itself. The maintenance and costs now are more
tolerable.

Johnnie