Re: [TR] Questions about sill replacement on a TR3

To: ZoboHerald@aol.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Questions about sill replacement on a TR3
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 13:04:48 EST
In a message dated 11/29/2006 9:02:18 AM Central Standard Time,
zoboherald@aol.com writes:
> I am so NOT a structural engineer (nor any other kind of engineer),
> hence my possibly naive question here. "Pound for pound" (or whatever
> SAT-style analogy you care to use here), are these adhesives as strong
> as an equivalent spot weld or plug weld or other kind of weld? Or
> (maybe the same question, but asked differently), is there any
> difference in design of two pieces to be joined via a structural
> adhesive rather than by conventional "mechanical" (weld) joining?

I am not either a structural engineer but I would think that a continuous
seal of a good, polyurethane adhesive (such as Fusor which is used in new cars)
could be as strong or stronger than a series of spotwelds, some of which may
not have taken so good.  The real question in my mind is will the adhesive
stick
to a powder coated surface?  These adhesives are excellent at sticking to
steel and painted surfaces but powder coating may yield a "Teflon(R)" like
surface, if you catch my drift.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org