Re: [TR] Questions about sill replacement on a TR3

To: tr3driver@ca.rr.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Questions about sill replacement on a TR3
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 13:16:08 EST
In a message dated 11/29/2006 11:10:14 AM Central Standard Time,
tr3driver@ca.rr.com writes:
> There are of course purpose-made automotive structural adhesives, but AFAIK
> they
> are not found at Lowe's.  The stuff I've seen in body shops is essentially
> an
> epoxy cream, with an applicator that automatically mixes the 2 parts as they
> are
> applied.

A good resource is your local auto paint store.  I was steered towards a
product with the brand name of Fusor (or Fuzor) which comes in caulking gun
cartridges as well as other formats.  I was told that it is what the auto
manufacturers use.  It is a single component polyurethane product that is
paintable and
quite strong.  Back before I thought better of it and was considering
replacing my floorpans myself I considered installing them using steel
poprivets and
this adhesive.  I suspect that between the two it would have been as strong as
original, maybe more.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org