Re: [TR] Questions about sill replacement on a TR3

To: jar@aldermanroad.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Questions about sill replacement on a TR3
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:41:47 EST
In a message dated 11/29/2006 4:56:30 PM Central Standard Time,
jar@aldermanroad.net writes:
> The sills are not structural members.  The door posts are welded to the
> box  member that runs from the leading edge of the body, just to the
> rear of the wheel well, to the back, just in front of the rear wheel
> well.  That box member is the primary structural member, and to which,
> through two "ears" attached to each of the right and left side, the body
> is mounted to the frame.
>
> However, you need a soundly weld or other means of attaching the sill to
> that box member, and to the door posts.

Perhaps we are arguing semantics.  We were discussing the INNER sills which
are the box sections to which you refer.  The outer sills are, as you say, non
structural and merely dress up the appearance below the doors.  This all
carries over from the first TR2's which had no outer sills as the doors
extended
all the way down to the bottom of the body.  And also, it turned out, into the
curb.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org