Re: [TR] Thinking of Getting a Modern Car

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Thinking of Getting a Modern Car
From: "Mark Vaden" <markvaden@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:54:57 -0800
I am car obsessed and in addition to my first car - the TR4 I drive
now I have owned many "newer" cars. Here is a summary of the sporty
cars I have owned:
1993 Miata - great handling car, fun to drive and reliable. Needs more
torque. I had zero problems with my miata, and look back on it fondly.
1996 BMW Z3 2.8 - Nice inline 6 engine - lots of torque for the time.
Handling too soft, and the car is too heavy. More of a cruiser than a
sports car. Many mechanical problems - a fortune to maintain.
1996 Eagle talon tsi - tons of power, lots of fun. Poor build quality.
2003 Subaru WRX wagon - lots of go, a blast to drive, once you add a
stiffer rear sway bar. Prior to that plows a lot, but still fun to
drive and in the wagon mode a practical two purpose car.
2001 BMW 328ci - Great sports sedan. Nice torque range, handles well,
well built. I should have spent the money and got the M3, now that is
a great car.
2003 Porsche Boxster S - Fun, great handling and fast. I think this is
the best of the two seat convertibles, with the only possible
exception being the lotus elise.
1995 Porsche 911 C4 - Last of the classic air cooled cars. Starting to
show it's age not as nimble or fast on the track as the newer cars.
2006 Porsche Cayman S - A dream on the track or autox. Easy to drive,
lots of feedback - the best car I have ever driven fast. I love it!
Although similar to the boxster, more rigid and more hp (although the
2007 boxster gets the same motro now). Under warranty now, but I
suspect once the warranty expires it will be expensive to maintain.
Parts are expensive. Front brake pads cost me $160.00.

-Mark

===     http://www.vtr.org