Re: Historic Stock Cars

To: JWoesvra@aol.com
Subject: Re: Historic Stock Cars
From: Tom M <tmatycho@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 13:54:02 -0800
JWoesvra@aol.com wrote:

> Tom:
>
> I don't know much about your west coast tracks and events, ...

<snip>

> It would seem that with "all this money" floating around, that entry fees
> could be reduced, or eliminated all together. Even our local dirt track pays
> money to the top finishers. It may only be $100 to win and $20 for fifth
> place, but it all comes from spectators and sponsors.

VARA, which is one of the largest vintage racing organizations, putting
on approximatelty a dozen races per season, does mostly non-spectator
events.  The entry fees are normally $175 for non-spectator events, but
the fee for the Pomona Grand Prix was $245.  Not having entered Tustin
or the L.A. Grand Prix, I can't immediately verify my impression that
these  two spectator events had entry fees higher than $175.

HMSA does two spectator events with major commercial sponsorhip and
three club races that are non-spectator.  The club races are $200
whereas the specator events (Mollie Stone at Sear Point and the Monterey
Historics at Laguna Seca) are $300.

> Closed events without spectators will always cost the entrants. How could it
> be any other way?

Why *should* it be any other way?  We are the ones who gets the benefit
and enjoyment from the racing; I don't see that paying for what we get
is a problem.

Tom M.
Elva Courier #43