Re: Historic Stock Cars

To: JWoesvra@aol.com
Subject: Re: Historic Stock Cars
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 16:14:52 -0600
Jack,

Some observations...

Some of the "big guys" are so far mortgaged that their interest payment
rivals war debts from WW2...
Some of the "poor guys" could by and sell the gold chain types...

You said... "The reality is that we little guys
wouldn't be able to race at all at the big tracks without the
participation
of the big guys."

Who are these "big guys" and why does it matter to me if they
participate. What do you say we get past the "big guy" and "poor guys"
mentality, and understand that the economy of scale dictates X amount of
entrants results in Y entry fee. Allow me to digress a moment....Now if
certain "big guys" are receiving waved entry fees or "mileage
allowances" for bringing "famous cars", I think everyone participating
should no about it since that skews my equation above. Unfortunately, I
still don't see where having late model stock cars is reducing my costs,
except for the minimal percentage overall in entry fees that most likely
would reflect itself in next year's prices.
Is this making any sense?

And when is someone going to address the real vintage stock car issue?
Are there many left? I recall a pretty historically significant early
70's Dodge Charger with a Hemi in time capsule condition  that showed up
for the Vintage Fall Festival at Road America a few years ago... but
other than that, none. That car, and others like it belong, in my
opinion, in "vintage/historic" racing.

Also, I suspect there's a lot more politics involved in this general
discussion based on the number of e-mails sent to me privately (and not
to the list) supporting my position and agreeing with earlier comments.

WST
Team Thicko
Getting dizzy up here on the soap box