Re: Bugeye Sprites w/ 1275cc at SVRA

To: JWoesvra@aol.com
Subject: Re: Bugeye Sprites w/ 1275cc at SVRA
From: Mike & Jaye Rosen <mra@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 10:18:27 -0500
Sorry if I offended anyone out there. I've never let facts stand in the
way of a good story.
The reason I even mention it is because of events like Waterford Hills.
Many VARAC guys go there and we do have a ball but....
In the race I was in, there were only 4 cars that were really legal,
i.e. a Lotus 7 with a 997 Ford, a Turner MkII with a 948, Brian Evans
Midget with a 948 and L Section tires as well and My car the VAY Special
on 15" Dunlop Ls...they are all VARAC cars.
The rest were 1275 Bugeyes etc. with enormous suspension mods.

I know that Hoosiers are cheaper than Dunlops but... they're still just
too bloody wide - The idea is have period sized tires so handling and
appearance and suspension loading are as the car was designed for.
The fact that Hoosier chooses to make a wider stickier tire with a
non-period tread pattern at a cheaper price does nothing for vintage
racing other than help destroy it by constantly erroding authenticity
standards.

IMHO..Vintage racing CANNOT ADVANCE. The time is past, it's over.
Advancement means destruction.  If you want to go faster and faster,
either move up in car type, say to a Post '62 sports racers or a Formula
B... or go contemporary racing.

VARAC right now is going through a period similar to many clubs.We're
losing older neat vintage cars to later historics...why?

Because as everyone pushes the envelope further and goes faster, there's
a disincentive to own and race a slower older car (like mine or B.
Evans). I know that the ownership and restoration etc. is a huge amount
of the fun as is the racing in general but... it's alot more fun to have
someone (or a whole bunch of people) to race with.

I must be up to 4 cents by now.
Mike Rosen (1958 VAY Special)