Re: Bugeye Sprites w/ 1275cc at SVRA

To: JWoesvra@aol.com, mra@sympatico.ca
Subject: Re: Bugeye Sprites w/ 1275cc at SVRA
From: DWhitesdJr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 12:02:43 -0500 (EST)
Jack Woerle said: "We (SVRA) do allow Hoosier tires, mainly because the
Dunlop L tires cost so much more. The tire issue is valid, but in my opinion,
un-resolveable."

If the issue is one of cost, why not mandate Dunlop L section HARD COMPOUND
tires.  They will last forever  (at least 4 to 5 seasons), and the
performance is identical (because the tire is the same type compound) to what
was available when the cars were "really" racing.

Every "improvement" over what was used when the cars were "really" raced,
costs money.  Stop allowing "improvements" and you will lower the costs of
maintaining the race cars.  As an added dividend, you may go slower, but have
closer and safer racing.  Even NASCAR has figured that one out.

This is not an "un-solveable" issue.  Historic racing in Europe has used the
HARD COMPOUND tire rule with success for several years.  Steve Earle now uses
it. Lap times of vintage cars at every North American track are seconds or
even tens of seconds faster than they were when the same cars were running at
the tracks when new.  While I think driving standards are high in vintage
racing, do we really believe that we are better drivers than Moss, Redman,
Donahue, etc., were, when they were in their prime?  Require period tires,
engines, suspensions etc., and we will reduce costs and have closer, more
competitive racing.