Re: crack-up at the historics

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: crack-up at the historics
From: Clark Smith <clark@dnf.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:39:09 GMT
>Someone in our group was asked if he would allow George Follmer to
>drive his Boss 302.....the answer was "no, I bought the car so *I*
>could drive it".....  (Especially with Parnelli in the other Boss!)

Letting someone else (famous) drive your car is something I have never
understood. I can't believe it is for the generosity of the "good of the
sport".  There must be something else to gain.  Example:

One of the cars on my "historically most important" list is the
Troutman-Barnes Special of 1955.  It was the precursor to the Scarabs and
the Chaparals, driven by significant drivers, dominent in the era, etc, etc.

This year was the first time I have ever seen the car.  It lives in Hawaii
and must be frightfully expensive to transport over here, entry fees,
accomodations, you know.  But the owner lets the original driver (and my
personal hero) Chuck Daigh drive the car.  It is a very generous thing to
do, to let this 75 year old icon drive the car he made famous.  Daigh drove
the car,  but he didn't exactly showcase the car....

Why would that (much younger) owner go through all that effort and expense?
It already had history with Daigh so this run didn't elevate its value.
It ran nowhere near the front and I doubt it even made a pass.   There is
no doubt that Earle would have welcomed such a significant car with open
arms for the good of the show.....   What motivated this owner to go
through all this trouble?

Rich guys?

Clark

"Hay Bales and Asphalt"
a video featuring vintage footage
of motor racing from 1957 to 1961.
Images and description at
http://www.dnf.com

My 1953 Devin-Porsche Restoration project
http://www.dnf.com/devin-porsche.html