Re: crack-up at the historics

To: Clark Smith <clark@dnf.com>
Subject: Re: crack-up at the historics
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 15:53:52 -0700
There is something to be said for reuniting a car with its original
famed driver. Even if the old timer doesn't get to drive the car, it
does the current owner an immeasurable amount of emotional good to see
the car with it's original driver, on track or not. When I ran the
Bourgeault in the '96 Historics, lo and behold, Nick Reynolds of the
Kingston Trio shows up to shake my hand and thank me for keeping the
car going. I couldn't have arranged it better if I had tried. The young
guys who do let the old timers take their cars out on track are also
thanking them for making the car famous. The current owners are usually
a lot younger than the ones who made the racing history. They'll have
plenty more years to enjoy the car. The original drivers may be getting
on toward the last roundup, and won't have too many more chances. I
think it's fine, as long as you have an understanding that the car is
no longer simply a beast to be flogged on to the checkered flag. There
may well be some people who want to have bragging rights ("Yeah, I let
Stirling Moss drive my car, and it survived!"). I tend to think it's
more about putting the pieces of history back together again, which is
more consistent with the "vintage philosophy" as we know it.

At this point, I wouldn't let Stirling Moss drive any of my cars, no
matter how rich I was. It's a matter of respect. I don't think he has
any for anybody or anything. A massive ego and irreplaceable cars
simply don't go together, IMO.