Re: crack-up at the historics

To: doneen@itcanada.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: crack-up at the historics
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 12:07:31 EDT
In a message dated 8/31/99 8:29:58 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
doneen@itcanada.com writes:

<< WAKE UP RACERS!
 What we witnessed was racing, not a parade! While it's important to respect
 the vintage cars and their vulnerability to expensive damage or destruction,
 they are nonetheless RACE CARS. If you don't want your prize-winning trailer
 queen to suffer a crumpled fender....DON'T RACE IT ANYWHERE! >>

Paul:

Then YOU just don't get it!!  Vintage racing IS racing, its just not that
type of agressive racing.  Steve Earle and his staff (just like all vintage
race officials) makes it clear to ALL participants in the Historics that the
CARS are the show, NOT the drivers.  Vintage racing for spectators is more of
a SHOW than a RACE, and while close dicing for position often occurs, stupid
bonzai manuevers in a car you're not familiar with, around other drivers
you're not familiar with, on the first lap, in the first corner is NOT what
you do.  You wait until a less perilous opportunity to make your pass.  The
responsibility for a safe pass lies squarely on the overtaking driver.
Sterling didn't pass that test, now did he??  In fact, I seriously question
his total driving ability in light of his aparent lack of judgement.  If he
were not Sterling Moss, and instead were one of us, he'd be suspended in an
instant.  And frankly, I don't understand why he isn't.  I don't care how
good he was 30+ years ago.  He's NOT very good now.  I certainly don't want
him behind me on the grid, based on his recent experiences.

That's why, if there are contact incidents, the drivers are reprimanded, and
usually suspended ala the 13/13 rule (13 races or 13 months).  Racing
incidents are sometimes unavoidble, particularly if mechancial failures are
involved.  The cars are all repairable and rebuildable, but that's NOT the
point.

Its all about driver attitude.  If winning is ALL that's important, then
you're playing in the wrong game.  If you want to go have at it with such
disregard for your fellow racers and/or their cars, then I suggest you choose
another venue that doesn't mind a little bumping and banging.  NASCAR, SCCA,
IMSA, or others come to mind.

Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128