Re: Honesty

To: MHKitchen@aol.com
Subject: Re: Honesty
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:55:35 -0600
Hey y'all,

WHen I saw the Earnhard incident, I had a flashback. I've been in 2
racing accidents in my years on the track. Back in 1993, racing an ITB
Scirrocco at Blackhawk, I was T boned by a 5.0 Mustang that had lost
it's brakes, left the track, slid through the grass and back onto the
track. It caught the VW in the passenger side, totalling it. I turned my
head and watched the Mustang as it impacted (hard). My neck was turned
to the right, and from that moment on, I've had neck problems, and when
I roll my neck it sounds like snap crackle & pop. After that incident, I
purchased a neck collar.

When I had the infamous suspension failure in my Sprite at Mosport this
summer, I was doing at least 100 when the right front wheel decided to
part company with the rest of the car. The concrete wall I hit was
protected by a layer of tires, but the impact still toatalled the car,
and flipped it 2 1/2 times.What occurred to me was that Dale Earnhardt
hit that unprotected wall at 70 mph faster than my impact, and did not
have the benefit of a tire wall to cusion the blow. But then again, he
was in the latest greatest safest race car in the world, and I was in a
40 year old shitbox Sprite.

I knew when the flipping stopped and I ended upside down, but able to
wiggle my fingers and toes, that I was very fortunate. I was walking,
talking, and smartingg off (as usual) that evening. The next day, the
toll of  my fractured ribs and bruised internal organs was evident, and
I was sore as hell for weeks.

I thought of Dale Earnhardt taking the pole at Watkins Glen the week
after breaking his collarbone and sternum a couple of years ago. That
guy was one of the toughest son of a bitches on the planet.

WST