Re: Roll Bar Question

To: andycost@earthlink.net (Andy Cost), porrada76@yahoo.com (z m),
Subject: Re: Roll Bar Question
From: DatsunDoc@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:46:20 -0500
I think it is time for some common sense here. I race cars (roadsters, Z car
and 510) in door to door competition with SCCA, SVRA and other sanctioning
bodies. I have also built my own roll cages. These cars all need to pass tech
and have extensive roll cages tied to frames or mounting plates. I don't think
it is necessary to have an SCCA approved roll cage or rollbar to gain some
benefit in a street driven roadster. In the 60bs SCCA required a rollbar top
to be within 4 inches of the top of your helmet. Thatbs above or belowb&..
That seems ridiculous by todaybs standards (which are constantly be argued and
updated in SCCA btw) but it did offer some degree of protection to racers over
no roll bar at all. We all take risks every time we drive on the street in a
roadster or any car for that matter. In my opinion, some rollbar is better than
none and makes a good place to anchor shoulder harnesses if a proper horizontal
cross brace is installed. My street roadsters all have a bolt in roll bar with
back up plates to sandwich the body sheet metal. Be sure to pad any parts where
you might contact the bar with your head. I wouldnbt race these cars without a
full cage but I do feel it offers a better level of protection than no rollbar
at all on the street.
Mike Unger