RE: Roll Bar Question

To: <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Roll Bar Question
From: "Richard Hugi" <Richard@tntarch.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:55:59 -0800
Geeeze, I know I'm gonna get in trouble with someone here, but who can
predict what kind of accident that might happen to them?  I think that
bolt-in roll bar offers protection to some degree, but there are so many
variables involved. It might be as strong as a hard top on a car, the
failure will most likely not occur in the connection, remember, the bearing
points are only as strong as the metal it is connected to. If your 40 year
old chasse is suffering from metal fatigue there would be no way to predict
what would happen.  I would expect that "welded-in" backing plates would
increase the area that experiences the trauma. And don't forget, one thing
that I've seen the most failures with at the track is in the seat
connection.  Too many people neglect that assembly.  There are only four
1/4" studs holding in your seat, and in a violent rollover can leave your
body flailing about with the weight of you strapped in.  My track car has
3/8" bolts into 1/4" steel reinforcement plates welded to the cage.  A
harness does little good in a rollover if your seats aren't an integral
unit.

Richard

2 years Formula Dodge "Wheel to Wheel"
3 years street stock CSRA "door to door"
3 years open track Trans Am Replica
1 Really nasty roll that left me with having experimental spinal surgery and
ended my career as a Furniture Maker. Yes, Weld those Roll bars to the frame
otherwise tuck your head down between your legs and kiss your ass good bye