fot

Re: Head Sealing Problem?

To: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Head Sealing Problem?
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 21:14:09 -0600
I've done a bit more work and now I think I'm going to side with those that
think I've got a simple cooling problem rather than a head gasket leak.
Today I rechecked the head torque, did a compression test, and leak down
test.  All of them seemed to be ok.  I also rechecked for combustion gases
in the radiator with the die kit.  I even jacked up the car, put it in gear,
revved it up and applied the brakes to put a load on the engine.  There was
no evidence of combustion gases in the radiator.  This must be a helluva
cooling problem, since its running 230 degrees on a 70 degree day.  I've
already got a radiator with no crank hole (not sure what type of core).
I've got the oil cooler mounted behind a hole in the front apron and
everything is shrouded to force all air through the radiator.  I think I'll
recheck the ignition timing, then take the radiator in for a recore.

Thanks for all the suggestions,
Larry