Re: dick J

To: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: dick J
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:08:36 -0500
Howdy,
         I have a dodge colt H/GCC 1500 lbs 95 inch WB no suspension 144MPH
so far, from what I have heard, once you get to around 150-175 at the
Flats, suspension is too slow to react to the minor undulations the salt
has....I do believe there is a small amount of wheel spin from the short
wheel base I have but the car seems to get better as the faster I
go.....although this is a drag race of sorts, gentle on the throttle and
clutch is the way to go....I would still use no suspension if I had to
build another car....but then I'm only looking at 160-180HP FWD locked diff.

At 10:39 AM 4/25/01, you wrote:
>I was just trying to find somebody that would
>tell me it was OK to take the easy way out.  I
>spent the better part of a year putting the car
>together without suspension, and was hoping
>somebody would say: "Try it first".  Nobody did.
>I am going to just buy some new 2X3 mild steel
>tubing and start with a fresh frame.  I'll use
>the VW torsion bar front end (somebody else on
>this list has already had satisfactory results
>with that setup).  I have some ladder bars
>already, so I'll weld up plates on the axle
>housing and use the ladderbars with coilovers.
>It's not like I have to be in a hurry to get to
>the race track any more.  I can take my time on
>the roadster and have fun with the Camaro.
>
>Dick J
>--- Jim Bodenheimer <bicwig@msn.com> wrote:
> > I have to agree.  Ask John Beckett and Tom
> > Sarda how rough a ride it is
> > without.  If you start pumping much HP to it,
> > it will definately spin.  I
> > fought similiar problems and ended up with the
> > 4 link.  Best move I made,
> > the car goes straight and is predictable.
> > Remember, 150 is absoulely flying
> > when things go wrong.  Just my 2 cents.
> >
> > Jim
> >

> > >From: "The Butters Family"
> > <bbutters@coldreams.com>
> > >To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
> > >Subject: dick J
> > >Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 09:37:48 -0700
> > >
> > >       I think you atleast need a front
> > suspension, I'd get one of the set
> > >ups
> > >from Speedway in the straight axel section. I
> > don't think you will enjoy
> > >driveling a solidly sprung rear end car under
> > 150mph, its rough and I don't
> > >think it will hook up very good. I'd do
> > something withcoil over shocks,
> > >paying
> > >attention to not allowing any sideways
> > movement. I'm sure you will see lots
> > >of
> > >options at WOS this fall, Sorry Dick , but I
> > think you better re do the
> > >whole
> > >deal, it won't take that long or be that
> > expensive in the long run. Kvach
>

>=====
>Dick J
>In East Texas
>http://auctions.yahoo.com/

              John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
                   FAX 608-265-2316