Re: Anotherr race date on the salt?

To: Louise Ann Noeth <lanoeth@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Anotherr race date on the salt?
From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 12:16:11 -0800
Louise, List,

As Jimmy Durante used to say, "Everybody wants to get in on the act".

Lets keep Bonneville Salt Flats racing an AMATEUR event.

As a relative newcomer to the salt ( what is it? five years we have seen you
there?) before you start suggesting additional race dates on the salt you
should learn more about the hard won situation that presently exists.

The Salt does not dry enough on normal years for USFRA to conduct their July
meet AS LONG AS THE SALT RESTORATION PROJECT CONTINUES.  Pumping of brine is
normally in process until April 30.  Hopefully this means July is gone for a
long time because we cannot race unless we have that project continue for
the foreseeable future.

Dragging operations presently commence as soon as it is dry enough to do so
without damaging the racing surface, most years it is in July ... the salt
needs time to heal after the dragging and to dry and re-form the crystals on
the surface to give a good, safe course.

SCTA/BNI and USFRA provide vital safety functions as well as the timing that
makes racing fun for everyone there.

Speed Week is in August

World of Speed is in September

World Finals is in October

They all depend on the weather ... it's the bottom of a lake bed.

There is an agreement that there will be four weeks between events to allow
the salt to set up after the previous event.  That is controlled by the BLM
and agreed to by the racers.

Private, small events are sandwiched between when they can be staged without
damaging the course/courses prepared with money from course prep fees paid
by every racer at the three events.  It's patently unfair for someone to
come to the salt and use a prepared and surveyed course paid for by everyone
else.

SCTA runs events every month during the summer months at El Mirage.  People
in the points chase there want to race at every one of those events they can
attend.  For many of them that is their primary focus.  The ECTA is the same
way.  Many can only afford to go to Bonneville once each year,

That realistically leaves what?  November 1 is the starting date for the
pumping to begin each winter.

When could the event be held without stepping on those who have been there
for so many years?  Who would time the additional event?  Where would the
workers come from?  Who would pay the costs?  How safe could a meet be if
you scrimped on any part of the event?

Do you have any idea of the cost and time commitment involved on the part of
a large number of people to even stage an event?

And most importantly ... can the racers afford to attend another meet?
There's the problem of getting time off from work, having a car ready to
run, replacing parts that were broken or damaged at the previous event,
having enough of a crew to make the event successful for your entry, getting

As someone who understands what presently exists and the hard work to
provide it I'd vote no.

Wes Potter