Re: Suspension

To: Russel Mack <rtmack@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: Suspension
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 14:16:56 -0400
For a guy like you that is probably more mathematically accomplished than me..
You too MayF
"Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics" is a good start.
Thomas D Gillespie wrote it.. SAE press.. I think it has a workbook that goes
with it as well.. SAE actually has tons of good info on this subject and there
is a ton of good software that is not expensive if you would rather avoid the
math and just get the answer. If you go to the PRI show there are some very good
seminars on this subject as well sponsored by motec that give both theory and
practical applications with ideas on instrumenting for it all. I was hoping to
go this year but commitments do not allow for it.

I don't know where or if i still have a copy but the GM power book used to have
about 50 pages of useful little nuggets on chassis in the back of it as well and
not so mathematically challenging. I have learned and forgotten about 3/4 of
what little i know about chassis setup at various short tracks in the northeast
from 1/4 to 5/8 mile asphalt stuff when i had more boyish looks so to speak..

I am reasonable certain though if i have a long moment arm between the CG and
roll axis it is going to get ugly.. From what i do remember on that stuff the
smoothest then handling cars had about an 8 to 9" rear roll center and 2 to 3"
in front. With a SBC or BBC iron engine the CG generally runs through the
camshaft centerline for most things built to look like a race car. Instant
center on the 4 link ended up at about 2 wheelbase lengths in front of the car
with level arms on the bottom and no pre load either.
Dave