suspension

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: suspension
From: John Goodman <ggl205@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 14:33:17 -0700 (PDT)
John B. and thread:

I made a fatal error in my explanation of moment arms,
roll axis, roll center and CG (what I get for not
proof reading first). The moment arm in question is
the difference between CG and roll center, not roll
axis. The roll axis is simply a straight line
connecting front and rear roll centers. This straight
line is what is used to measure up to wherever your CG
happens to be. Everything else remains the same. Too
long a moment arm and the race car is encouraged to
roll through quick lateral load transfer. Stiffer
springs and anti-sway bars can help but only to a
point. One could use roll axis to establish moments
front and rear but that would have to be measured
against a difficult to determine, mass centroid axis.
If you could determine your mass centroid axis, having
the roll axis parallel to it would be ideal.

John Goodman