Re: Water Fuel for automobiles

To: Jim Webb <jimwebb@nutsracing.com>
Subject: Re: Water Fuel for automobiles
From: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 09:22:48 -0400
On Tuesday, June 6, 2006, at 07:11  PM, Jim Webb wrote:

> I saw a couple of goo-goo-eyed news stories and thought "yeah, right"
> and
> followed up on some research into the proponent and Brown's gas... OK
> - it
> was about as simple as I thought. Break the bond in H2O and you get,
> viola,
> 2 Hydrogens and 1 Oxygen. Mix 'em and burn 'em and Shazaam! You get
> power
> and water! Imagine that!

Even if you can get cheap energy to liberate the hydrogen -- you need a
good number of cubic feet of the stuff to move the car along for mile
after mile, right?  So either you gotta have a giant container -- or
you must compress the H2 and store it in a pressure vessel. . .  And
that leads us to -- how much energy will it take to run the compressor?
  Ooops, there goes some more of your efficiency.

I've said this before, but not on this particular thread:  About ten
years ago I bought a GMC Jimmy (a.k.a. Blazer) out of the fleet of the
local natural gas utility.  The vehicle has a 350 SBC that runs on
87-octane gasoline -- or, a click of the switch later, compressed
natural gas.  I've got darn near nothing bad to say about it -- and
wish I could still get the compressed gas to run the vehicle.  The gas
company quit maintaining a filling station so i couldn't buy the gas
any more, and installing a compressor here at the office, while
possible, was cost INefficient so I didn't.  The gas company doesn't
even have any CNG vehicles any more.

We hear talk about hydrogen being a good fuel, but it won't work 'til
there's a distribution network.  Hey, there was already a pretty good
network for natural gas -- pipeline all over the place!  And that fuel
didn't work out because of the cost of compressing and using it.  And
as Jim mentioned in his note (which part I deleted), H2 is pretty
destructive to work with -- more so than nat. gas.  What makes the
powers-that-be think H2 will be accepted when plain ol' natural gas
didn't make it?

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan