Re: Budget

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Budget
From: baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 08:20:55 -0400
At 12:01 AM 6/14/98 -0400, you wrote:
>baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com wrote:
>> if I keep it like it is, it will continue to go up in value.
>
>  Unfortunately this isn't true. Cars like this tend to peak
>in value at about 20-30 years old. It works out to be such that
>when the people who were about 15 then are middle aged now, that's
>when demand is highest. (the old "wanted one when new and
>now I can afford it" syndrome)
>
>  Sadly, when the cars get older than that, the people who really
>want one aren't in the correct age group to actually BUY one
>and the demand falls, taking prices with it.
>
>  Look at older cars like Model A and T fords for a pretty
>sad example. At one time pristine examples could pretty much
>name their asking price, but how many people today really
>say "I want a classic car, and I want it to be a Model A!". Not
>many, nowadays most people say "I want a classic car" so they
>get a muscle car or perhaps an LBC.

I agree to a point, except that your analogy is a poor choice.  While it's
true that Model A Fords may have commanded "any price",  that has never
been true, nor will it be, for Model A MG's.  And Model A Fords are of a
totally different era (I suppose you can classify it as a larger car) and
are not going to attract a "fun" factor like a sports car (of any era).

Altho my generation (I'm 45) does recall living with MGA's, the young
people of today (ages 15-25) that I have encountered are still blown away
by my MGA, ask relevent questions and make relevent comments.  The
brilliant red paint, glimmering chrome wire wheels, and laid back driving
position is not dissimilar to todays sports cars.  One thing that hasn't
been true of the Ford for 50 years, and is still true of the MGA, is one
that my SO pointed out the first time we saw it... "That car is soooo
sexy."  We all know that sex still sells so you could reallistically factor
that in.

I'll be the first to admit that my MGA is not a sound business "investment"
and I already attested to that in my first post.  As a matter of fact, the
reason I was able to buy it so easily was because of the success of my
Mutual Funds paying off so damned well.  I have no hope that the MGA will
double in value (altho it could, like many stocks, conceivably "split"!  Ha!)

My whole point is, that for the foreseeable future, buying a car like an
MGA is a lot more financially sound than, say, a motor boat which is often
described as a hole in the water into which you throw your money or a
Winnebago.  But the reason for buying is not totally diffierent. It's Fun.
So while other investments give me a piece of paper once a month with good
or bad news, my MGA gives me pleasure.

I continue to believe it will hold it's value, and maybe increase somewhat,
as time goes on.

Dave

'62 MGA 1600 MkII