Re: Budget

To: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@khoral.com>, Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Budget
From: Ben Ruset <bruset@home.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 18:22:07 -0400
>At first I misread this and thought you meant any post-TF MG.  I would
>agree with the exception of the A.  I would call the A a sports car.  I
>would call the AH 100/4 a sports car.  The 3000 I would not.  It's a
>touring car.  Like someone hear so correctly put it, it's not some list of
>features a car has or doesn't have, it's a feeling you get when you drive
>it.  Maybe Mk I midget.  I'm not comfortable enough in one to really enjoy
>it.

I think that Trevor was refering to the "normal" people who have not driven a
British car. To them, the sports cars of today would be the C5 Vette,
Firebird/Camaro, Rustang, and whatever slop Japan is shipping this month. I
think that we see these people every day - these are the boy racers with an
exhaust pipe so large my B could drive in, or a stereo capable of
richter-scale
bass. =)

>>   Sorry if that's blunt, but it's true. When you borrow your mom's
>> corolla and it outperforms your MGA in every way, I think you start
>> to see your MGA as a "cute little convertible".
>
>No, I think of it as something that makes me smile.

We are the special people! =)

>I didn't grow up with As.  The one I ever saw I bought because I had
>to have it.

I'd *love* have an A. Unfortunately, they are all out of my price range - and
not really a practical as I already have a B.

>>   Chrome is pretty much the desires of the older set, not really
>> appealing to most of the younger crowd.
>>
>>   Case in point, go to a dealer, like say, a Chrysler dealer. Look
>> at the Chrysler Minivans, then have chrome strips, chrome grilles,
>> and so on. Target market, old farts.
>
>Old farts are cool!

Not the ones who drive Chrysler Minivans!

>>   Then look at the Talon TSi or the Stealth. Serious drool factor
>
>Serious wank factor!  :)

Cheer! Although I wouldn't turn one away if it was offered to me. I'll drive
anything with a stick (except an 82 Nissan Maxima Wagon...)

>I think they want one until advertising tells them otherwise.

Naah. People's tastes have changed. Take me for example - I'm 20, going on 21.
I'm looking for a good 2nd car. Most people my age would be looking at
something Japanese, sporty, and cheap. I look at Jaguars! British cars have an
unfair stigma about them - and at least in America most British cars have
endured a lot of DPOing, or were mangled from the factory (BL Jaguars). When
people see that most of the "fun" accessories and aftermarket parts for Jap
cars can be bought localy, this also serves as an incentive to buy something
Japanese.

I for one am glad that Brit cars are not mainstream. It gives me something
different to drive than all the other people my age.

BEN RUSET - ICQ # 10364973 - http://members.home.com/bruset
The MGB Haven & MG Cars Webring  - http://members.home.com/mgbhaven