Re: Possible Fuel injection for the MGB?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Possible Fuel injection for the MGB?
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 10:11:42 EST
In a message dated 2/7/02 10:57:11 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> a TBI system for the MGB/TR-6..that could just be one
> of the most innovative things to come along in a long time to help our
> MGB's
> pick up some power w/o sacrificing fuel efficiency and still be smog

Only one problem - the execrable head design on the MGB.

When you go from carbs to injection on many cars, the largest advantage is
better fuel distribution, simply because the new injectors are pointed into
the ports.

The TBI (throttle body injection) is a half way measure that basically
substitutes a throttle body with a large injector in it for each carb,
usually locating the TB right where the old carb was, often using the
original manifold, so there are no gains in flow (unless the original carb
was a flow-hog); what you get is principally a better metered fuel flow,
often lower emissions, and sometimes as a side benefit a small bit more power.

So don't expect too much - I foretell a rush by the same idiots that paid
good money to replace SUs with those stupid downdraft Webers just to say they
had a Weber on their car. "Hey man, I've got INJECTION!" (Note to Moss - be
sure to put that on a bumper sticker and supply one with each kit).

If you use direct port injection, with one injector pointing down each port,
there are considerable benefits to be had - with a cam change and that sort
of set up, the TR6 PI gained up to 45 bhp over the smogged North American
version.

But there is no point doing this on the MGB - you only have 2 ports and the
carbs are already pointed directly (or almost so) down the existing ports.

If you do want injection, you can already get it - they make a replacement
unit that looks like a Weber that you can bolt to a Weber MGB intake
manifold. We've discussed it before on this group.

Just don't be expecting great increases in power.

Bill

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///