Re: Buying in

To: Jon Callas <jon@callas.org>
Subject: Re: Buying in
From: smithmog@ix.netcom.com
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 22:10:33 -0800
Jon Callas wrote:

> I've been lurking here, contempating getting a Morgan, and it looks like I
> will. I put down a deposit on a '67 two-seater plus four today. Assuming it
> checks out with another mechanic (and I can't imagine it won't), I'll be a
> Morgan driver.
>
> What should I get ready for? (Other than a lot of fun, of course. I
> couldn't stop grinning after test-driving it.)
>
>         JonJon-There are a number of things you need be ready for:
1)Kids under 13 and adults over 50 will wave a lot, typically accompanied
by "neat car!"
2)Ferrari owners, bewildered, will ignore you at traffic lights.
3)You will become accustomed to certain questions. The answers are:
        -No, I didn't build it myself
        -Wood.Really.No, not the chassis.
        -150 miles per hour, but not on these tires, of course.
        -Oh, I dunno, 150 thousand dollars, I guess.
        -1967,or 1947, or 1937.
        -I'm sorry, I'm married, but Thanks anyway.
4) Oil and grease.Lots of it. Morgans love the stuff.If in doubt,
lubricate it.At the very least, you'll keep it from rusting.
5) The possibility of getting wet.These are not convertibles in the
"folding top" sense of the word.Experience erecting pup tents in monsoons
may prove helpful.
6)Get all the Morgan books you can find, starting with Fred Sisson's
"Morgan Bedside Reader" You will discover shortly that there are not two
identical Morgans in the world, and come to cherish your car's own
peculiarities.
7)Mainly, get ready to have fun.There is no practical reason on earth to
buy a Morgan other than the fact that they look and act unlike anything
else.I can sit in my garage and stare at it-it's that pretty.And, after a
while, you'll discover that it behaves differently in dry weather than
when the humidity's high and the wood swells.
        Try explaining THAT to a guy driving a Camry.
        And, every once in a while, you'll find a perfect day, and a
perfect road, and create a memory that will last years.
        You are in for a good time.Good Luck, and let us know how it
turns out!
                Jeff Smith
                1968 4/4 2 str.B1677