Re: Weird brake question # 163

To: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Weird brake question # 163
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:03:46 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I had this pedal droop problem in the race car. I "fixed" it by running
the rear brakes a bit "tighter" than normal - tighten 'till the wheel
doesn't turn and back off two "clicks" on the adjuster.

I finally got annoyed by this situation recurring each time I removed the
brake drums (this is my race car, tear-downs are a pretty common source of
entertainment), so I decided to methodically determine the problem.

What I discovered was that the idiot that installed the brakes put two
"forward shoes" on one side and two "rear shoes" on the other other side.

The idiot, of course, was me. This is a testiment to the fact that
assembling brake systems at 2 AM the night before a race with practically
no sleep for a few days is just a really bad idea!

FWIW, I also get some pedal droop when I take the car through a
particularly fast corner that loads one side or the other a lot - maybe
even to the point of drifting... you learn to "stab" the brakes with your
left foot when you're coming out of the corner so you don't get the "aw
shit" feeling when you get to the next corner...

But that droop is def. related to suspension "flex" even with the front
bearings "socked up".

Zoom Zoom,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |