Re: swaybar info(2)

To: TeamZ3@aol.com
Subject: Re: swaybar info(2)
From: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 16:58:05 -0700
TeamZ3@aol.com wrote:

> It concerns me that the proposal for Stock class rule changes seems to ever
> be on the increase, usually by some Mr/Ms Johnny-Come-Lately.  Despite the
> continuous Team.net criticism of the SEB, my detailed conversations with the
> various committee members (you really should try it sometime) has
> demonstrated to me that they have a much greater appreciation for, and
> understanding of, the *entire* scope and impact of changes, much more so than
> Mr/Ms JCL can even begin to comprehend.

I've seen a number of concerns, issues and questions raised by
experienced folks here.

BTW, I'm sitting here looking at my very first SCCA "Solo I & II Rules"
book, circa 1976, and I've got one for every year in between.

Does that make you a JCL?  :-)

> There's a reason that the SEB is
> composed of members of long standing experience, just as there's a reason
> they don't cotton to the "rule change of the week" syndrome.  The class rules
> are the foundation, and if the foundation isn't stable the whole thing can
> come crashing down.

Those who serve on the SEB committee are indeed wise, owing no doubt to
their range of experiences, but also because they have learned to listen
and observe, rather than just expound.

I can comprehend and appreciate what they must endure, but I think that
we need not bow to the north (Denver from here) to pay homage to their
infinite wisdom. I suspect that would make them very uncomfortable.  In
any healthy organization there should be questions about quality,
customer satisfaction, and more. True leaders do not think they have all
the answers, but know how to listen and sort the good from the chaff.
This forum is just one sampling.

> Why anyone wants to fixate on such a benign issue like changing a front
> swaybar in Stock is beyond my comprehension.

If you have read much of what has been written, there are some good
ideas out here. Perhaps 'benign' and 'fixate' are poorly chosen words.

And, I suspect some of the SEB are 'listening' quietly to the
discussion.  Try it sometime.

Scott Meyers
Wearing flame-retardant ear muffs and mittens  :-)