Re: Stock Category brake lines

To: William Schenker <schenker@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Stock Category brake lines
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 15:27:58 -0500
William Schenker wrote:
> Why would stainless steel be MORE prone to wear and abrasion than OEM
> rubber?  I'd think it'd be the opposite!

Because little bits of grit and grime get inside the braiding while
driving in the rain, snow, mud, or other messy stuff.  Then as the
hose flexes (as it does whenever you turn the wheel or hit a bump),
that trapped grid abrades both the braided steel and the hose inside.

Braided steel brake lines are great for race cars, where they are
regularly maintained and rarely driven in ugly conditions.  They're not
such a hot idea for street-driven vehicles.

Mark